This will be for the past 2 months.
Dear Aaron,
Two months later, and while not much has changed, there have been some lessons introduced and some challenging days with some fun times as well.
- Every time we called Daddy you would tell him about all you had done in your video games. I would coax other memories out of you, but you knew he would be the one to care about exactly which move you used or which obstacle you defeated. For example, when you got to the dark side of the moon on Mario, or when you leveled up another character, or you learned how to do a new move... and you are extremely detailed.
- A quote from you while playing one of said video games: "I'll leave the sound off, Mom, since I know you want to listen to your music while you make dinner." Haha. Super considerate of you.
- You kept praying Daddy would get extra sleep and have extra luck for your work.
- We finally made it to chess club! I am super lame and you have only made it one time (the library has it twice a month), but we should be going to the next one. You loved reiterating rules and just being around other kids who are learning too. You played with a librarian and 2 other kids, and then challenged me. We had to end our game early due to your siblings, but oh you love chess!
- We actually played a game of Mario chess the next day I think and it came down to Mario and Luigi against Bowser, then just Mario and Bowser. You won as Mario. It was epic in your eyes, and you still talk about that game every now and again haha!
- So you finally made some friends in the neighborhood... and then another kid on the street decided you would be the kid to make fun of. So after about 2 weeks of having a friend, you suddenly didn't, and all they want to do is play basketball. I will be surprised if you ever come to enjoy that game, just because of how ridiculous they were. However, you made another friend the other direction and the two of you play tag and pretend wonderfully together. Of course, he is moving later next month. To say that making and keeping friends as a military child is a challenge... that is an understatement. But we have discussed how we only choose our own actions and reactions. It has been extremely hard for me to watch. You still are nice and try to join in their games every now and again, and sometimes they let you. I am grateful you just enjoy running around and don't notice every thing like I do. Maybe next time we'll have good neighbors again.
- You started folding your own laundry last month! And I don't mean I just started teaching you and you got it... I mean, you actually successfully folded them nicely on your own. So now in addition to putting your clothes away, I can toss all your items in a pile and know they end up decently taken care of. It was a small victory that has made a noticeable difference. And since you love to help and are always asking how you can help, it makes everything wonderful for all.
- We went to the beach a few times the past couple weeks, with one time being cold and requiring sweatshirts for us to stay and enjoy (which we did), another time having perfect weather and we stayed for almost 3 hours, another time with Daddy on his short weekend, and another time where it was so windy and I forgot the sweatshirts we barely lasted 45 minutes. I am so very glad you no longer despise the beach. You still prefer grass and mountains and trees, but you can enjoy being at the beach again. This will make the next little while bearable ha!
- For Valentine's Day you specifically requested burgers for dinner. Since you do not usually eat meat other than occasional tacos, I was surprised. We all enjoyed them though, and it made for a fun night.
- With a few of my pregnancy appointments now under way, you guys look forward to them because you know they have a special waiting area where I can request cartoons while we wait. For one of those appointments I had to take care of the pharmacy and lab, so we left early in the morning so the lines would not be long, and then got bagels and hot chocolate to take upstairs to wait with cartoons and coloring. Definitely not a typical morning, and it was fun.
- When we got sick last month with one of those tummy bugs, you were the last of the kids to get it, and you were a champ. You knew what to do, and you tried not to complain at all, and tried to help as much as you could before/after your own episodes. I am always grateful when you help, but in those moments it is miraculous in my eyes and I thank heaven for you. Really I do.
- While I visited my family this month, MieMie came to stay with you guys. You helped her out so much, and you guys played every single day! When I got back we had a cupcake gender reveal party, except the baby was being shy so you all got blue AND pink cupcakes. You were so excited when you saw the blue, and a little sad when I said we just don't know yet. You have definitely decided you want another brother. Time will tell!
- I handed you "The Incredible Journey" to read the other day without thinking about it, because I wanted you to read a chapter book. You have been devouring it! I finally looked up what reading level it is considered... and am surprised but not really (if that makes sense) that it is a grade 6+ book. I know not all of the words are fully understood, but you know enough to use contextual clues, and it makes me happy to know whatever you want to learn more about, you can read about. The world is yours, love.
- We had some rough patches with math, but that is because our schedule kept changing. Now, no matter what, math is what happens first, because you do enjoy it, and it does come easily to you, and now you aren't distracted by other things of the day. Also, I am learning to stay incredibly positive about it, because I don't want to pass down the "I hate math/I suck at math/Math never makes sense to me" ideas. There are so many ways to approach the subject, and it is everywhere, and most importantly... it is a language your brain already leans towards, so I am learning to appreciate it more. Even in the most mind-numbing action of adding and subtracting haha.
- You finally felt baby move a few mornings ago. It was great to see that connection and excitement, as you really felt more than the other 2 and enjoyed sharing that moment.
- When Daddy came home today we went out to eat right after, and instead of playing in the kid area, you spent TWO HOURS talking about video games and Gundams and whatever other nerd things came to your minds. It goes without saying that you and Daddy are best friends.
It has been a busy couple months, with various lessons and ups and downs. It is so wonderful to have you in our lives.
Love, Mommy
Dear Ana,
You are so imaginative and always acting out whatever you are learning!
- You and Reed play house all the time, and one time you were playing as "mommy and daddy" and kept calling each other that, so I was getting confused because Reed would say, "Mommy," and then say, "No not you Mom." You also like to be mom while I get to be the daughter. We've had some fun with that.
- You began riding your bike on your own finally, on Valentine's Day! You were so excited when it clicked how to move your feet against the pedals. I finally had you do it in the garage instead of trying on the hill we live on (even if it's not much right in front of our house, the garage is much flatter obviously). You like to go on adventures frequently now, and have begun building the strength to keep going up and down the street. You like to pretend you're going to a school and have to stay at a hotel, and you also go visit grandparents. And you love having a phone with you as you do!
- You like watching movies with a million questions. "Where are they, who is that, what is she doing, why is she there..." Haha!
- So I was cleaning out my bathroom and found my old glasses frames. Because you kids always want to try on my glasses, I decided to take the 2 smallest pair and poke the lenses out and give you the frames. You LOVE them. Both of you run around in these frames all the time, and you always pose when I mention it or show you to someone. (Aaron wants nothing to do with glasses since learning you need great eyesight to fly.)
- It has been a trying few months as we have tried to navigate lying. With Aaron it has always been, "Don't do that," and it's done. With you, however, the line has to be toed and the limits pushed and the questions exhausted and the experience gained individually. I have been trying to encourage the honesty, but then you start to lie about the smallest things. It is a constant work in progress right now.
- Last month you and Aaron initiated a "secret meeting Mom is not allowed to" in the middle of the kitchen floor, on the blankets and pillows you had gathered. All of your heads were together and you were talking about who knows what! It was hilarious and adorable and I snuck a picture since I wasn't allowed to join haha.
- At the end of January we had a movie party with popcorn and licorice, watching Kung Fu Panda, and you kids thought it was the coolest. We pulled out the sofa bed and everything. You wanted to sleep there on the couch, but I knew how successful that would be and did not go that far. I figured the treats and experience were good enough we could still get some good sleep. You convinced me to leave the couch bed out for another day and a half though!
- The tummy bug really hit you hard. You were miserable, and while you did not really complain, you had more coming out than the boys, and that was just awful. You snuggled a lot, and were grateful for the smallest things. I was so relieved when you were finally on the mend.
- If we could go to the beach every single day, you would be so happy. You stay in the water till you turn blue - literally. When we went with Daddy the water was cold and yet you stayed in till shivering violently and I finally coaxed you out with 2 warm towels and a sweatshirt. You wanted to get back in 10 minutes later, still shivering. You are so fully joyful in the water, completely uninhibited and loud and silly and just happy. And you get to play in the sand, digging and creating and smashing and smooshing. Often joining your brothers in running up and down the beach, but mostly chasing the waves and having them chase you. I know the second you are big enough to swim out further you will be out exploring as far as you can go.
- You are constantly playing in the dirt. Our backyard used to have grass, but not much, and winter killed more of it. You want to go digging back there literally every day, preferably barefoot. I love it, even if the mess is hard for me to deal with. I try to let you most days. And I know I can let you be out there for an hour or more, perfectly content with random tools and containers, "baking" and creating and just filling and dumping and digging. It is hilarious.
- You are still hoping this baby is a sister. I tried to ask you, "What if this is a boy?" and you burst into tears. We have finally been able to talk about how even if this is a boy, this baby is still going to be our baby we can all snuggle, so she can still hold and love on them, whoever it is. You liked being reminded of these baby snuggles.
- You were so excited for Daddy to come home so he could take you on the date he had to cancel 3 months ago. You love being able to get him early in the morning, and show off for him in the afternoons and evenings. I love that you want to show him all you can do.
You love to be outside of course, and having friends to play with is becoming more important to you. I love to see what you create. You are my abstract artist, and I truly love it. You love bold colors and random lines and chaos and lots of stuffed toys. You challenge me daily. But you also snuggle intensely. I am so grateful for this.
Love, Mommy
Dear Reed,
Oh my wild man, you are as silly as ever!
- You seriously leap on/off everything and have bashed your face multiple times the past few months. I will be amazed if all your baby teeth stay in until the adult set comes in.
- You destroy everything. The other 2 always had some destructive moments now and then, but yours is on constant "demolish mode". I turn around for 2 minutes and when I turn back, I often want to cry. Thankfully, I finally got started on decluttering, and boy has that helped. Eliminating the "stuff" means you have less to un-organize, so clean up is also easier on you, and you are not quite so horrified by the task.
- One of the days I was decluttering you were actually so sad about Daddy being gone you just sat on the couch while I cleaned out some boxes in the entry way, half-watching a show while the others were outside, just so you could be near me. I knew you missed him when you passed up the opportunity to be outside.
- When we dropped Daddy off at the airport the second time, you asked 4 times at least where he was and when he would be home, each time quietly saying, "Yes ma'am," in the most dejected little voice. We had to snuggle a lot that day, and the next few.
- You like to rearrange the furniture when I am not looking, including the living room couch. The others came running into my room one day shouting and scaring me half to death, and when I saw you sitting on the couch in a completely new position I just laughed. You were so proud.
- You fell asleep in my lap after I woke you up from your nap a month and a half ago, and refused to wake up. I even tried to get up to make dinner and you shifted so your body weighed my legs down, haha!
- Such a boy. Actual conversation: "Reed, why are you tooting on me?" "...Because."
- You were the first to get the tummy bug. I actually thought you just ate a gross fruit or something, because you were complaining of your stomach hurting for several hours before starting the upheaval. You made it till the middle of the night when you came to my room, and lost it. This was the first time you have really been nauseous like this, so you had to learn why on earth I made you sleep with a bowl right by you, and that I would indeed shove it under your face every time. It wasn't too bad for you, as in how frequent you threw up, but the aches were the worst part, and that I could only do so much. I was glad when you were done with it.
- Such an adorable moment last month: "Mommy I stand on my happy toes!" as you showed me your balance on your tippy toes.
- So last month you came into my room at 4 AM screaming at me, "Want popcorn and go outside!", which you had asked for the day before when I was horribly sick (last one to get the tummy bug), and you refused to stop screaming for another hour. You finally stopped but were still mad and rolling around another hour. And then, later in the afternoon, you still wanted to know where your popcorn was. It was intense. I finally got you some popcorn the next day (I had to get some first).
- So with bedtime still being all dramatic, I started using lavender again. I had stopped using it regularly, but this past month I decided it really needed to happen. It definitely helped. And we adjusted our bedtime routine (which had gotten out of control), so things are finally stabilizing again. You are doing much better and usually stay in bed and don't put up a fuss unless you had a really long/late nap.
- We painted pictures last month and when Aaron started painting a house, you knew you needed to have one, too. So I helped you with the outline of it, and then you filled it. You then saw his door, and made one for yourself with such precision, I was quite amazed. It is not something most toddlers your age do, painting something so precisely. With a doorknob no less. It was interesting.
- So we were watching "A Goofy Movie" a few weeks back, and when Max kissed Roxanne you straight up giggled. I was so surprised and it made me laugh quite a bit hearing you giggling.
- Speaking of movies, I showed you kids "Hook" for the first time. We had read the original Peter Pan, and were on a Pan kick, so I looked it up for you. You did NOT like it. Hook scared you. You sat with me, and turned to me to tell me, "Mom I scared." I asked if you wanted to stop watching it and you said no, and you didn't have nightmares thankfully. Also thankfully, you enjoyed the movie by the end, but when Hook was there again you shrank into me. I can say you are not a pirate fan.
- You loved having chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine's Day! You were covered almost as well as the berries, but oh you enjoyed them.
- When Daddy came home, you could not stop running up to him every 5 minutes or so. "I love you Dad" with a hug, then back to playing. You missed him so much.
- You also like to play in the dirt with Ana, but lose interest more quickly, preferring to run around or find something to climb. Or tip over. Or poke at. If you can have a physical challenge, you are happy. For example, the other day you ran down the hallway and into a somersault. No one showed you this. You just came up with the idea and did it. Repeatedly. I just watched you, which of course you kept asking me to do halfway through, and laughed at how much energy you have. Whatever activity we sign you up for, I think you will enjoy it - as long as you can keep moving.
- You like to come up and hug my tummy, squeezing tight, and the other night you came up and did this, then put your face close to my tummy and growled in a Batman voice, "I love you baby" and then ran off. It was hilarious. Also, after hanging out with a friend and her almost 18 month old son, I think you might do better with this baby than I initially thought. I still think you will be more jealous than either of the others, but hopefully we can keep that at bay.
You are full speed ahead all the time, but 9/10 times you wake up happy, and really are just happy most of the time. You always have to be experimenting and exploring and pushing the limits - what your own body can do or the house rules or anything else - and keep me on my toes. I love how you run up to me, get a hug and kiss with a quick "I love you Mom," and then run off again. I am excited about all the coming months we get to spend together.
Love, Mommy
Two months later, and while not much has changed, there have been some lessons introduced and some challenging days with some fun times as well.
- Every time we called Daddy you would tell him about all you had done in your video games. I would coax other memories out of you, but you knew he would be the one to care about exactly which move you used or which obstacle you defeated. For example, when you got to the dark side of the moon on Mario, or when you leveled up another character, or you learned how to do a new move... and you are extremely detailed.
- A quote from you while playing one of said video games: "I'll leave the sound off, Mom, since I know you want to listen to your music while you make dinner." Haha. Super considerate of you.
- You kept praying Daddy would get extra sleep and have extra luck for your work.
- We finally made it to chess club! I am super lame and you have only made it one time (the library has it twice a month), but we should be going to the next one. You loved reiterating rules and just being around other kids who are learning too. You played with a librarian and 2 other kids, and then challenged me. We had to end our game early due to your siblings, but oh you love chess!
- We actually played a game of Mario chess the next day I think and it came down to Mario and Luigi against Bowser, then just Mario and Bowser. You won as Mario. It was epic in your eyes, and you still talk about that game every now and again haha!
- So you finally made some friends in the neighborhood... and then another kid on the street decided you would be the kid to make fun of. So after about 2 weeks of having a friend, you suddenly didn't, and all they want to do is play basketball. I will be surprised if you ever come to enjoy that game, just because of how ridiculous they were. However, you made another friend the other direction and the two of you play tag and pretend wonderfully together. Of course, he is moving later next month. To say that making and keeping friends as a military child is a challenge... that is an understatement. But we have discussed how we only choose our own actions and reactions. It has been extremely hard for me to watch. You still are nice and try to join in their games every now and again, and sometimes they let you. I am grateful you just enjoy running around and don't notice every thing like I do. Maybe next time we'll have good neighbors again.
- You started folding your own laundry last month! And I don't mean I just started teaching you and you got it... I mean, you actually successfully folded them nicely on your own. So now in addition to putting your clothes away, I can toss all your items in a pile and know they end up decently taken care of. It was a small victory that has made a noticeable difference. And since you love to help and are always asking how you can help, it makes everything wonderful for all.
- We went to the beach a few times the past couple weeks, with one time being cold and requiring sweatshirts for us to stay and enjoy (which we did), another time having perfect weather and we stayed for almost 3 hours, another time with Daddy on his short weekend, and another time where it was so windy and I forgot the sweatshirts we barely lasted 45 minutes. I am so very glad you no longer despise the beach. You still prefer grass and mountains and trees, but you can enjoy being at the beach again. This will make the next little while bearable ha!
- For Valentine's Day you specifically requested burgers for dinner. Since you do not usually eat meat other than occasional tacos, I was surprised. We all enjoyed them though, and it made for a fun night.
- With a few of my pregnancy appointments now under way, you guys look forward to them because you know they have a special waiting area where I can request cartoons while we wait. For one of those appointments I had to take care of the pharmacy and lab, so we left early in the morning so the lines would not be long, and then got bagels and hot chocolate to take upstairs to wait with cartoons and coloring. Definitely not a typical morning, and it was fun.
- When we got sick last month with one of those tummy bugs, you were the last of the kids to get it, and you were a champ. You knew what to do, and you tried not to complain at all, and tried to help as much as you could before/after your own episodes. I am always grateful when you help, but in those moments it is miraculous in my eyes and I thank heaven for you. Really I do.
- While I visited my family this month, MieMie came to stay with you guys. You helped her out so much, and you guys played every single day! When I got back we had a cupcake gender reveal party, except the baby was being shy so you all got blue AND pink cupcakes. You were so excited when you saw the blue, and a little sad when I said we just don't know yet. You have definitely decided you want another brother. Time will tell!
- I handed you "The Incredible Journey" to read the other day without thinking about it, because I wanted you to read a chapter book. You have been devouring it! I finally looked up what reading level it is considered... and am surprised but not really (if that makes sense) that it is a grade 6+ book. I know not all of the words are fully understood, but you know enough to use contextual clues, and it makes me happy to know whatever you want to learn more about, you can read about. The world is yours, love.
- We had some rough patches with math, but that is because our schedule kept changing. Now, no matter what, math is what happens first, because you do enjoy it, and it does come easily to you, and now you aren't distracted by other things of the day. Also, I am learning to stay incredibly positive about it, because I don't want to pass down the "I hate math/I suck at math/Math never makes sense to me" ideas. There are so many ways to approach the subject, and it is everywhere, and most importantly... it is a language your brain already leans towards, so I am learning to appreciate it more. Even in the most mind-numbing action of adding and subtracting haha.
- You finally felt baby move a few mornings ago. It was great to see that connection and excitement, as you really felt more than the other 2 and enjoyed sharing that moment.
- When Daddy came home today we went out to eat right after, and instead of playing in the kid area, you spent TWO HOURS talking about video games and Gundams and whatever other nerd things came to your minds. It goes without saying that you and Daddy are best friends.
It has been a busy couple months, with various lessons and ups and downs. It is so wonderful to have you in our lives.
Love, Mommy
Dear Ana,
You are so imaginative and always acting out whatever you are learning!
- You and Reed play house all the time, and one time you were playing as "mommy and daddy" and kept calling each other that, so I was getting confused because Reed would say, "Mommy," and then say, "No not you Mom." You also like to be mom while I get to be the daughter. We've had some fun with that.
- You began riding your bike on your own finally, on Valentine's Day! You were so excited when it clicked how to move your feet against the pedals. I finally had you do it in the garage instead of trying on the hill we live on (even if it's not much right in front of our house, the garage is much flatter obviously). You like to go on adventures frequently now, and have begun building the strength to keep going up and down the street. You like to pretend you're going to a school and have to stay at a hotel, and you also go visit grandparents. And you love having a phone with you as you do!
- You like watching movies with a million questions. "Where are they, who is that, what is she doing, why is she there..." Haha!
- So I was cleaning out my bathroom and found my old glasses frames. Because you kids always want to try on my glasses, I decided to take the 2 smallest pair and poke the lenses out and give you the frames. You LOVE them. Both of you run around in these frames all the time, and you always pose when I mention it or show you to someone. (Aaron wants nothing to do with glasses since learning you need great eyesight to fly.)
- It has been a trying few months as we have tried to navigate lying. With Aaron it has always been, "Don't do that," and it's done. With you, however, the line has to be toed and the limits pushed and the questions exhausted and the experience gained individually. I have been trying to encourage the honesty, but then you start to lie about the smallest things. It is a constant work in progress right now.
- Last month you and Aaron initiated a "secret meeting Mom is not allowed to" in the middle of the kitchen floor, on the blankets and pillows you had gathered. All of your heads were together and you were talking about who knows what! It was hilarious and adorable and I snuck a picture since I wasn't allowed to join haha.
- At the end of January we had a movie party with popcorn and licorice, watching Kung Fu Panda, and you kids thought it was the coolest. We pulled out the sofa bed and everything. You wanted to sleep there on the couch, but I knew how successful that would be and did not go that far. I figured the treats and experience were good enough we could still get some good sleep. You convinced me to leave the couch bed out for another day and a half though!
- The tummy bug really hit you hard. You were miserable, and while you did not really complain, you had more coming out than the boys, and that was just awful. You snuggled a lot, and were grateful for the smallest things. I was so relieved when you were finally on the mend.
- If we could go to the beach every single day, you would be so happy. You stay in the water till you turn blue - literally. When we went with Daddy the water was cold and yet you stayed in till shivering violently and I finally coaxed you out with 2 warm towels and a sweatshirt. You wanted to get back in 10 minutes later, still shivering. You are so fully joyful in the water, completely uninhibited and loud and silly and just happy. And you get to play in the sand, digging and creating and smashing and smooshing. Often joining your brothers in running up and down the beach, but mostly chasing the waves and having them chase you. I know the second you are big enough to swim out further you will be out exploring as far as you can go.
- You are constantly playing in the dirt. Our backyard used to have grass, but not much, and winter killed more of it. You want to go digging back there literally every day, preferably barefoot. I love it, even if the mess is hard for me to deal with. I try to let you most days. And I know I can let you be out there for an hour or more, perfectly content with random tools and containers, "baking" and creating and just filling and dumping and digging. It is hilarious.
- You are still hoping this baby is a sister. I tried to ask you, "What if this is a boy?" and you burst into tears. We have finally been able to talk about how even if this is a boy, this baby is still going to be our baby we can all snuggle, so she can still hold and love on them, whoever it is. You liked being reminded of these baby snuggles.
- You were so excited for Daddy to come home so he could take you on the date he had to cancel 3 months ago. You love being able to get him early in the morning, and show off for him in the afternoons and evenings. I love that you want to show him all you can do.
You love to be outside of course, and having friends to play with is becoming more important to you. I love to see what you create. You are my abstract artist, and I truly love it. You love bold colors and random lines and chaos and lots of stuffed toys. You challenge me daily. But you also snuggle intensely. I am so grateful for this.
Love, Mommy
Dear Reed,
Oh my wild man, you are as silly as ever!
- You seriously leap on/off everything and have bashed your face multiple times the past few months. I will be amazed if all your baby teeth stay in until the adult set comes in.
- You destroy everything. The other 2 always had some destructive moments now and then, but yours is on constant "demolish mode". I turn around for 2 minutes and when I turn back, I often want to cry. Thankfully, I finally got started on decluttering, and boy has that helped. Eliminating the "stuff" means you have less to un-organize, so clean up is also easier on you, and you are not quite so horrified by the task.
- One of the days I was decluttering you were actually so sad about Daddy being gone you just sat on the couch while I cleaned out some boxes in the entry way, half-watching a show while the others were outside, just so you could be near me. I knew you missed him when you passed up the opportunity to be outside.
- When we dropped Daddy off at the airport the second time, you asked 4 times at least where he was and when he would be home, each time quietly saying, "Yes ma'am," in the most dejected little voice. We had to snuggle a lot that day, and the next few.
- You like to rearrange the furniture when I am not looking, including the living room couch. The others came running into my room one day shouting and scaring me half to death, and when I saw you sitting on the couch in a completely new position I just laughed. You were so proud.
- You fell asleep in my lap after I woke you up from your nap a month and a half ago, and refused to wake up. I even tried to get up to make dinner and you shifted so your body weighed my legs down, haha!
- Such a boy. Actual conversation: "Reed, why are you tooting on me?" "...Because."
- You were the first to get the tummy bug. I actually thought you just ate a gross fruit or something, because you were complaining of your stomach hurting for several hours before starting the upheaval. You made it till the middle of the night when you came to my room, and lost it. This was the first time you have really been nauseous like this, so you had to learn why on earth I made you sleep with a bowl right by you, and that I would indeed shove it under your face every time. It wasn't too bad for you, as in how frequent you threw up, but the aches were the worst part, and that I could only do so much. I was glad when you were done with it.
- Such an adorable moment last month: "Mommy I stand on my happy toes!" as you showed me your balance on your tippy toes.
- So last month you came into my room at 4 AM screaming at me, "Want popcorn and go outside!", which you had asked for the day before when I was horribly sick (last one to get the tummy bug), and you refused to stop screaming for another hour. You finally stopped but were still mad and rolling around another hour. And then, later in the afternoon, you still wanted to know where your popcorn was. It was intense. I finally got you some popcorn the next day (I had to get some first).
- So with bedtime still being all dramatic, I started using lavender again. I had stopped using it regularly, but this past month I decided it really needed to happen. It definitely helped. And we adjusted our bedtime routine (which had gotten out of control), so things are finally stabilizing again. You are doing much better and usually stay in bed and don't put up a fuss unless you had a really long/late nap.
- We painted pictures last month and when Aaron started painting a house, you knew you needed to have one, too. So I helped you with the outline of it, and then you filled it. You then saw his door, and made one for yourself with such precision, I was quite amazed. It is not something most toddlers your age do, painting something so precisely. With a doorknob no less. It was interesting.
- So we were watching "A Goofy Movie" a few weeks back, and when Max kissed Roxanne you straight up giggled. I was so surprised and it made me laugh quite a bit hearing you giggling.
- Speaking of movies, I showed you kids "Hook" for the first time. We had read the original Peter Pan, and were on a Pan kick, so I looked it up for you. You did NOT like it. Hook scared you. You sat with me, and turned to me to tell me, "Mom I scared." I asked if you wanted to stop watching it and you said no, and you didn't have nightmares thankfully. Also thankfully, you enjoyed the movie by the end, but when Hook was there again you shrank into me. I can say you are not a pirate fan.
- You loved having chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine's Day! You were covered almost as well as the berries, but oh you enjoyed them.
- When Daddy came home, you could not stop running up to him every 5 minutes or so. "I love you Dad" with a hug, then back to playing. You missed him so much.
- You also like to play in the dirt with Ana, but lose interest more quickly, preferring to run around or find something to climb. Or tip over. Or poke at. If you can have a physical challenge, you are happy. For example, the other day you ran down the hallway and into a somersault. No one showed you this. You just came up with the idea and did it. Repeatedly. I just watched you, which of course you kept asking me to do halfway through, and laughed at how much energy you have. Whatever activity we sign you up for, I think you will enjoy it - as long as you can keep moving.
- You like to come up and hug my tummy, squeezing tight, and the other night you came up and did this, then put your face close to my tummy and growled in a Batman voice, "I love you baby" and then ran off. It was hilarious. Also, after hanging out with a friend and her almost 18 month old son, I think you might do better with this baby than I initially thought. I still think you will be more jealous than either of the others, but hopefully we can keep that at bay.
You are full speed ahead all the time, but 9/10 times you wake up happy, and really are just happy most of the time. You always have to be experimenting and exploring and pushing the limits - what your own body can do or the house rules or anything else - and keep me on my toes. I love how you run up to me, get a hug and kiss with a quick "I love you Mom," and then run off again. I am excited about all the coming months we get to spend together.
Love, Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment