31 July 2019

7,11 and 6,1 (SIX YEARS) and 3,9 and 11 months

Dear Rory,
You have grown so much in these past 2 months!

- Walking!  Started last month, and mastered it this month!
- You have 6 teeth now.
- You are starting to figure out signs, and use your pointer finger by your mouth for "water".
- You understand a good number of commands now.  "Sit down", "come here", "let me have that", "up", "all done", etc.  You don't like when I tell you no.  But you do this cute thing where you go over to whatever I said you can't have, and you get right next to it and shake your head as you look at it or point to it.  Unless you just grab it defiantly glaring at me then running as fast as you can.
- You climb everything.  The ottoman is a fun place for you to hang out now, but we are working on not standing on it.
- You love books.  You love to pull them ALL off the shelves, but you also like to open them and look at them.
- You somehow switched to one nap already.  Sometimes you take another short one, but you don't need as much sleep - more like Ana in this.
- You love when the others pick you up and spin you.  You saw Aaron twisting earlier today and you walked over to him as fast as you could with your arms up, and with big eyes obviously showed you wanted him to pick you up and spin you.  Melted everyone.
- You like to bite.  It is not cool.  When you are mad at someone (mostly me or Reed), you yell in close, screaming with your mouth as wide as possible so you can chomp down on whatever body part is closest.  I have no idea how to make you stop, other than shove your plug in your mouth as fast as I can.
- You LOVE balls.  We now have several soccer balls, and you try to hold all of them simultaneously.  When we go to practice, you try to steal all the other balls.  I have warned everyone that you are a ball thief.  Being adorable, they don't mind unless they need to practice with it.
- You know that Ana is the one to go to if I am "ignoring" you (ie, doing dishes or making dinner).  You go to her so she will pick you up or sit with you, or you go and beg from her for some of her food.
- Broccoli is still your favorite.  Apples are good, and mozzarella cheese, but NOT cheddar.  Pretzels  but not tortillas.  Eggs and dates and yogurt and definitely chocolate. 
- You get to Daddy as fast as you possibly can when he gets home, waving and saying "hi" repeatedly, and freak out if he doesn't say hi with a hug.  If you are stuck in your chair when he gets home oh boy do you holler, flapping your arms and kicking.
- I still mostly rock you to sleep, but you are getting better at laying down still a little awake as I stand there.  Getting better...
- You love talking on the phone.  You pick up toys and "talk" on the phone already.  And get so excited when I make a call, you come over waving hi.

You are such an animated little monkey, exploring EVERYTHING.  You are everyone's friend and we love your high-fives and dance moves and general silliness.  I can't imagine life without you.
Love,
Mommy

Dear Aaron,
(The first note I wrote was completely deleted.  I hope this one is okay.)
You have gotten taller this summer, and have had some great experiences!  We stayed busy but had plenty of time to recharge, too.  Your neighborhood friends moved, but we tried to just stay busy.  The beach, springs, adventure zone, library (story time and movies), friends' pool, fireworks shows, all with everyone, and then camps for you.

- Soccer camp was amazing!  You had the best time.  Coaches from the UK, at least 15 friends that first day, you were so happy and exhausted every day.  Monday to Friday, 3 hours each day, and ended with a firetruck hosing everyone during a water balloon fight in the parking lot.  It was amazing.  You learned some great technique, you were given valuable critiques and feedback, and were able to work with serious players from your own age up to high school.  It was worth every penny to see how your face lit up every day.
- You also got to try cub scout day camp this past week.  For 3 nights you enjoyed learning outdoors skills and pioneer skills.  You had a great time with your friends trying new things.  I was proud of you for trying new things despite your fears (guns and knives and arrows, etc).
- You are such a bookworm and I love it.  You have read at least 2 hours every day, on the couch, in bed, in the car, at the table, in my chair, in the backyard, everywhere!  You love reading new stories, but you also revisit your favorites.  If you have a moment that you have to wait, you grab a book.  It's wonderful.
- You have decided you want to be baptized shortly after your birthday.  This makes Daddy and I happy.  It is a decision we have let you come to.  We have told you why it is something we are grateful for and want for all of you, but to have you say firmly that it is what you want is a blessing.  You have such a strong spirit and want so much to do what is right.  I am so grateful.
- You have started your normal soccer season, too.  Your new coach was on a losing team last year and is determined you and your teammates will know how to play the game and learn actual technique.  This is great considering your love of not only following rules but understanding the mechanics and reasoning.  You are definitely a serious player, but also bring a lightheartedness to practice, joking with everyone.  It's going to be a good season.
- We had an interesting conversation in the car on July 3rd.  As the original didn't save, I can't recall exactly but it was something like this:
   You: "The trees over there are more intimidating."
   Me: *thinking how random the comment is* "Oh?  How so?"
   You: "The branches are so poky."

I love your eagerness for pursuing your interests, and how you are always willing to try something new.  I love your nobility for defending what is right.  I love your willingness to help.  I just love you.
Love,
Mommy

Dear Ana, 
Somehow I blinked and another birthday has come and gone!  You had a fantastic birthday, and have enjoyed the summer for sure.

- The day before your birthday you got your ears pierced!  You were SO excited, and only started to get a little nervous when you sat on the high stool and I told you it would definitely hurt but only for a fraction of a second and not too bad and then it would be done.  You squeezed my hands and we looked right at each other as the 2 techs (thank heavens there were 2) counted down.  When they pierced the ears your eyes got really big and for a good second there I thought you would pass out.  But you were fine when you realized it was over and that was that.  You especially enjoyed choosing several earrings for later once your ears are healed.
- We actually trying changing your earrings 2 weeks ago.  You were standing by the counter and as I tried to get one earring in (the post was bent, stupid cheap thing), you said, "I don't like this," then started twitching and collapsed into my arms and onto the floor.  Yes, you literally fainted.  I picked you up and carried you to the couch, got you some water, and let you just breath for a minute.  You told me your throat felt weird, then your eyes just went black and you couldn't stand any more.  I put your original studs back in while you laid there taking deep breaths.  We won't try it again for a little while longer.  The collapsing I could handle.  The twitching as you lost the ability to move completely unnerved me.  Definitely waiting a while longer.
- As for your actual birthday, we had a birthday party at the park and invited some friends.  We attempted a teddy bear picnic, but while my intentions were good, the follow through was not as successful as I would have liked.  Nonetheless, you had a great time and your friends had a good time, and everyone got to eat and play and talk, so it was good.  You enjoyed the morning there, and then after presents and naps we hung out and had pork chops for dinner (MieMie was there so of course that was your request!).  It was a great day for you, and you were spoiled rotten, ha!
- You have also started soccer this year.  You LOVE it.  You have always enjoyed trying new things, and this is no exception.  It's not as natural to you as for your brother, but you work hard and I can see you will be improving so much this season.  Being able to understand the game and the technique will be a great bonding opportunity for you and Daddy.
- You have started a new dance season!  You are taking ballet and tap.  It is going to be awesome!  You really have a knack for it, and I am doing my absolute best to not kill your desire to dance, ha.  I am letting you take the lead for how much and what to try.  Taking into account the family schedule of course, because if you could you would try every single class!  It's fun.
- While we were driving this week, you talked about decorating the earth.  I can't remember exactly how it came up, but you were saying how everything and everyone were decorations for the earth, and how we can choose the decorations sometimes.  It was such a unique and quirky perspective, I laughed with love as you explained yourself.
- Also while driving, you and Reed were super thrilled about going "up the hill, up the hill!" and "down the hill, down the hill!" while driving.  "Here comes another hill!  Here it cooooomes!  Wooo!  Now we're going down!"  Now, these hills are, for the most part, slight grades on the freeway.  There are several big ones.  But we weren't driving on them when it started.  We did get to them 15 minutes after you guys started, which was funny.  It was just entertaining how the simplicity of sensing the change was something to focus on and fully experience and enjoy.

You have grown so much this past year it's hard to realize.  You bring so much energy and light to our family.  You have such great strengths and talents and I am so excited for you and all this year will bring.  I love how artistic you are, and empathetic, and genuinely caring, and confident!  I love all of you.
Love,
Mommy

Dear Reed,
How has so much time passed  already??  I don't have too many notes, mostly just that you were dragged around everywhere and were as wild as ever.

- One dinner time early last month you told me this: "So the sun comes up and then the sun goes down to the sun's home and the moon comes up and then the moon goes down to its home."  Repeated it 4 more times.  We were discussing how the sun goes down after bedtime since it was almost summer (6/4).
- You told me, "I'm going to be the snow bear because I like snow bears."  You were talking about being the polar bear (6/7).
- You loved Aaron's soccer camp.  You made friends with the coaches, too, and loved to practice soccer with them after the official practices were over.  You definitely like to stay on the move.
- Since normal soccer practice has also started, you also enjoy being able to go to the park and play there while the others are busy.  You jumped up to swing on the higher bar and can swing for a good long minute!  You have incredible arm strength for a young child!
- You still go through this pattern of taking naps willingly and then refusing to lay still and quiet.  It's hard because I know your body still needs naps, you just run on such a different schedule from us.  You are such a night owl, so you would take later naps, too, if you could.  It's complicated.
- You really like snuggle time at night.  I think with everything else going on, it's something that gives you the one-on-one you need from me and Daddy.  Now to convince you that we aren't abandoning you when we have to get up and leave the room while you are still wide awake.
- You love play time with your siblings, but you still need your own time occasionally.  I love coming into the room to see your imagination at work, with the various figures you have battling it out or racing or exploring.
- You loved having family visit this summer, and you loved exploring when we did.  You are always ready for adventure, especially if it involves water or something that will let you climb.  The beach, the springs, the pool, adventure zone... all were fun.  You're getting better in the water, too.  Oh and cub scout camp you enjoyed the last night of being on a good sized property with woods and chickens.  You were right at home.
- You are doing so much better in the library.  This summer Ana switched to the older kid story time, and so it was just you and me (with Rory).  You thought you were going to be miserable because Ana wasn't there, but you turned out to love it!  You got to sit with me, finally sitting in the middle while I sat back towards the end of the classes.  And doing the activity just you and me was great.

I have enjoyed play time and adventures and snuggles with you this summer.  We have to figure out how to do more one-on-one during the school year so you can enjoy that like the others got to do.  You are wild and challenging because you don't see limits, you see only possibilities, which is breathtaking.  I love you fiercely.
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment